Saturday, January 20, 2007

What The Rice Bowl Told Me

I broke a rice bowl today.

Doesn't sound like a great deal, ain't it? Yet, who knows breaking a bowl has a pound worth of lessons in it? At least, I do now.

Well, I was doing the dishes when it happened. I have a bad habit of stacking up the dishes like a Royal London Circus show when I wash them, and it so happened that after all those years of happy-go-luckiness, that bad habit of mine finally claimed that innocent porcelain bowl that has been used for years.

I was like, "Oh shi-" with one big eye and the other small, while Mum - as expected - ranted beside me : "See? Told you this will happen..."

DING. My mind chimed all of a sudden. Ain't this similiar to what happens when a sudden event was triggered ? Like, a car crash, an explosion or the sorts ?

Come to think of it, we live a life inside our own bubbles. Even though the world is harsh, the society is demanding and crap happens everyday, but somehow all of us manage to shape our lives to steer clear from them - most of the time - and gradually, it becomes a routine. And when it becomes a routine, we tend to think : "Yeah, I've been doing this for all this time, and nothing bad can happen if I do it like this."

But, what if suddenly, something unexpected happens and crashes your life ? And adding to it, no one or nothing can give you a - very obvious - sign to tell you that what you're doing routinely has long-termed negative effects, or something bad could happen and your life goes crash. And even worse - we always ignore the tell-tale signals, the advice of experienced individuals, and even our own conscience just for the sake of our own life's convenience.

Just like how I broke the bowl today.

Oh well, what's happened cannot be undone. A bowl that has served my family well for ages, now lying in the trash can waiting for it's unspoken fate. My hands seek for forgiveness, and that's why tonight, I blogged.

R.I.P., porcelain rice bowl.

No comments: