Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Thin Fine Line of Racism

Define being a racist. Or rather, define NOT being a racist.

Yeah, that's the challenge I set for all of you who are reading it here. This is something that we cannot run away from, as unless you're a hermit or a hikikomori who refuses to step out from your safety circle to keep in touch in this world, you will always meet someone that does not belong to your race.

I live in a country called Malaysia, a place where multiple races (still attempting to) blend together and hang out with each other in order to achieve a display of feats that people of different racial backgrounds can mix with each other. Personally I don't think all of us are that open-minded, as I can sometimes hear from some of my fellow Chinese mates tagging the other races with not-so-pleasant names - though fortunately those narrow-minded people are just minorities. But I don't really care anyway, because what matters to me is what kind of a person you are, and not what colour your skin is.

There are people of different races whom I respected as well - The Buddha, Richard Feynmann, Charles Dickens, Morgan Freeman, King Abdullah II of Jordan, RPK etc. These individuals are people who possessed strong principles in their life, and taught me a lot of what it means to be a human in this life.

Personally, I disliked playing with the racism game, but there are times where I can't run away from being called a 'racist' person because of decisions that I have to make. Sharing an apartment on the same floor with 2 other African students has gave me some experience in that matter, as well as an issue that occured sometime ago when I had an ex-housemate (who also happened to be African) openly asking me 'Are you racist?' when I had to temporarily confiscate his properties because he couldn't clear off his rental debts to me. I had my duty to fulfill, and because of that I was tagged a 'racist'.

Let me get something straight about me - I'm not being mean to others because they are of a different race, but only because they are being complete jerks to me. And only jerks would go as low as to play with the racial card - calling others a 'racist' when they had been cornered by enforcement due to their own irresponsibilities and lack of morality.

Well, call me whatever you want, 'racist' or 'Nazi' or 'KKK', it doesn't escape the fact that those namecallers are a bunch of wussies who can't even defend their own rights. The racial card is only dealt when you demand for sympathy, but I don't sympathize jerks who were just asking for trouble.

In the same time, I'd like to convey my message to some of you political individuals in my country who had been playing with the racial card - how different are you from those jerks that I've encountered when you provoked our people with the racial issue? Unlike the others, personally I don't demand you to apologize, because I understand that jerks like you are immoral beings and immoral beings don't know what an 'apology' is. That's how hopeless you are.

No comments: