Saturday, May 07, 2005

Thoughts...

Went to the Chinese Medicinal Hall to buy some herbs. Mum dropped me there while she went to look for somewhere to park her car, and she gave me a list of the herbs so the shopkeeper could refer to what she wants.

While I was there, I found myself standing next to an elderly lady, quite old, maybe near 70. Her back was slightly crooked, and wrinkles are everywhere around her, but well she was quite energetic. Her voice was strong while she reminded one of the shopkeepers about the special price quoted by the boss, and when she finally leave, her pace was fast despite her disadvantage of her body structure. I found myself struck with awe.

For that moment, I thought about my Grandma who stays in Muar, Johor. She was still energetic and could walk around freely and chat with the neighbours, before the accident occured during the end of 2003. She felled off the staircase, and as a result her arm was broken and the back of her head was severed due to the impact on the ground. As a result she was sent to the ICU, and she suffered from a certain level of amnesia that, she could remember old stuff but the newer memories were forgotten.

She had 5 daughters and 6 sons (including my Dad), but there was a cold war between them, and it too affects the priorities about the care needed by Grandma. It took quite a while before everything was *almost* restored to order. "11 children wasn't quite an easy task to raise", I thought, "yet Grandma ended up like this."

I thought back about myself too. Have I ever cared about Dad & Mum too? Not most of the time. So later on, I fetched Mum a cup of warm water to wash down the saltiness caused by our noodles for dinner, without her asking to do so.

Well, it's still not enough though. But I'll try my best again.

1 comment:

no-wing said...

Well.... it should be mandatory that one respects his parents... but when they grow up they desert them... it pains to see that.