Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Can't blame Time for it's Fault

The highway wasn't that busy that afternoon, and I kept my car on the express lane. I looked at the clock, illuminated by the late afternoon sun. Will be reaching that place in an hour or two, I pondered.

It's been a while, since I've tasted the fresh air, since the roosters wake me up in the morning, and since, that cold, cruel series of incidents that I couldn't bear to think of. I've never imagined that something bad will happen to my family, yet it has happened - and changed my perspective of how life is. Unpredictable.

How true the phrase is, "Time changes everything". The siblings I've known all these years, have became even more than strangers, all this while we are apart.

We used to be kids that grew up together, running across the paddy fields, catching fighting fish to compete with the other kids. We all worked hard to earn money for our family; our schooling days makes the life of the modern kid's look colorless; and despite our simple lives, we were content of what we have, and it was from that feeling of content that makes us all happy.

But life's not the same now - the more modernized we are, the less the Human heart fills. Greed was what tainted my family, leading into Hatred and Treachery, circulating in a pattern which nothing can stop it. I clenched my fists on the steering, preparing to turn - and to let go my disappointment on the fate that befalled my family.

Exiting the toll plaza, I drove into a two-way single-laned highway. Trees with their falling leaves, clouds of random pattern, wooden shophouses with tarnished zinc rooftops. The marks of Time as It walked by, not without stirring change on everything. I sighed heavily, as I could do nothing but watch the clouds of Life blown by the winds of Destiny.

As I parked my car at the compound in front of my old home, the sun glowed it's red-orange rays onto the wooden structure. I always remembered the sunsets were always beautiful with our smiles on our faces. And right now, in front of my eyes, the sunset still remained there as Time passed by, but our smiles have long faded, replaced by masks that were as cold as ice. And not even the Sun's warmth can melt it.

Time's fault it is, yet I can't blame nor forgive It, for what It has done can't be undone. Silently I walked into the lifeless house, occupied by people what I used to call - family.

No comments: